Thursday, September 3, 2009

Unanticipated Destiny

I could smell his scent on my brown tie-dye sarong for days after I left. It was still moist and full of sand and as it began to dry, grains of sand like memories fell upon the hardwood floor at the foot of my bed. It was hanging from a driftwood coat hanger a friend made me from treasure found upon the beach. It created the perfect materialized symbol of my two weeks on a beach in Mexico.

 Before closing my eyes at each night, I would get lost in the colors that painted my sarong so beautifully.  I could briefly remember what it was like to feel the soft, white Caribbean sand between my toes once again.  As bits of sand piled up beneath it to fall to the floor, time passed and the moisture evaporated away, a small pile of sand was lying upon the floor at the foot of my bed.

If I could just loose myself in a memory of a brief embrace from our fleeting journey together, I would wake up and bathe my pillow in tears of joy.  Maybe one dream would seamlessly weave itself into another and another until I woke up one morning believing it could be possible for me to wait for the time to pass and for fate to gift me with one more night with him.

After spending 4 days with him my joy felt as surreal as the images he created in the suggestive impressions within his paintings.  I fell in love with this Bohemian South American artist and after my short vacation in the Carribean commenced, I was already anticipating the opening paragraph of the new chapter in my life that was to follow three short months later.  I gave up a salary that afforded me simple luxuries in life, a beautiful apartment and followed my heart.  I moved to Mexico and that Chapter began.....A thirty year old woman giving up her materialized personal empire for a life living off of love and basking daily in the Carribean Sea.